Sunday, November 27, 2022

A Gokwe Kid’s Final Fight



It is with much sadness that I received news that former Patrol Officer Ian McKinnon of The British South Africa Police, has passed away in South Africa last night. It was only two days ago that we were chirping together (audio) on messenger. He sounded irritated because he was bored and wanted to go back to work. He had been battling with cancer for quite some time.

I met him in Gokwe 1977. We were just kids programmed to be ‘Men of Men’ in a war with good odds of being terminated. I suppose we were together for a year, if you ever did get together and were not out on some Bush Patrol. I left Gokwe, and a short time later the police.

Decades go by. I wrote a book. The Gokwe Kid. He is mentioned in it a few times. Along with the book, I created the Facebook group of the same name. Many of the  Gokwe kids, nigh all, crouched under that tarpaulin of exclusivity. He followed the feed all the time and made frequent comments.

 

He may have been hidden from sight but not from memory. Ian marches on over my pages for ever in plain sight.

 

My condolences to all family and friends.

Rest in Peace, Gokwe China.

No comments: