Friday, December 09, 2022

The Bush Detective and Red Riding Hood

 

Für Deutsch bitte link benutzen

 

 


The BushDetective and Red Riding Hood

 

Horror in the Maize Field

 

They say that a picture tells a thousand words. I like to think that the picture can actually influence your writing. Suppose you approach a scene that you have scrambled in your Cinema mind.

 

You are the script writer and the director of the film. Your task is to take the film and write it as you see it. In this chapter of my book, which will be fully illustrated, as I built the collage for the chapter, the picture changed the way the film progressed.

 

Look at this picture carefully. What do we have? A man fighting a leopard, a Red Riding Hood, an Alsatian puppy, a blind runner, a Bavarian couple, a burning cross, the book logo and link.

 

As I started creating the collage, I couldn’t find the right image for my film, so I adapted. The dog changed to another species, the couple became half the age of the original pair, the blind man needed a white stick, and other additions of Adolf Hitler and a burning cross - made me conclude - Just change the script! Which then leads to more changes to the story as the scene is manipulated around the visible image. I regularly have light bulb ideas from post WWII, adventure, pulp fiction magazine covers.

 

So, is it possible to cram that many images in  the reader’s head into a viable second part of a chapter - that the illustration helped to make a rewrite? I think so.

 

Genre – Horror, History, Satire, Erotica, Dark Comedy, Farce (Monty Python/National Lampoon) 1800 words.

 

Anyone willing to give it a go? Thanks.

No comments: