Wednesday, October 02, 2013

A visit to the Doctor.



When I slept almost 20 hours on Monday and Tuesday, I concluded something was wrong and had been for a long time. I just didn’t seem be able to do very much and my mood swings were getting worse. Some friends thought I actually might be a diabetic.

So Big Boss took me to see his Doc this morning. I was handled almost instantly. By the time they were trying to suck blood out my arms - I was in a frightful mess.

The Doc seemed very nice and I listlessly answered his questions and to one comment he replied - ‘I know, I have read your book, The Gokwe Kid.’

Now that was a bombshell and then I realised I had met him maybe 8 months back when Big Boss did one of his get togethers. We had had a great chat and said he would get my book..

So that made everything a lot easier as he wasn’t a stranger. Sugar and blood pressure were okay so I don’t have diabetes. Heart patterns checked out but I am being sent off to a cardiologist just in case.

It didn’t take him long to clock what is wrong with me - severe depression. I have to see a psychologist and a psychiatrist. I am glad we finally know for sure. I suppose it is the reason for my progressively erratic behaviour.

So loads of appointments being made. No messing around here. He had his secretaries on the phone to all sorts of experts. So I will be very busy for a while being examined physically and mentally. I was told I will have to take some kind of ‘happy pills’ but that there are loads of new ones that are non-addictive.

He also knew where I lived and suggested I should try and get a flat in an area where something happens besides mielies growing outside the window. Finally he said that my condition is treatable and not to worry.

So I suppose I felt a bit better but rather apprehensive and my poor partner at work was rather alarmed when I returned and hardly said a word as all this input went through my head.

I don’t mind telling you all this. Too many people out there have depression and it needs to be seen to and not just pushed under the bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better soon - loved your books and look forward to some more in the future!

Anonymous said...

Onwards and upwards. Wishing you every success and much strength with this new path that you walk.S.